So I learned today that it is really hard to explain to an almost 3 year old that in a week (that in it's self is hard to explain) I will no longer be their nanny and that they will have someone else watching them. I end my job with Bella and Ben Thompson next Friday-and then with Kendall and Jordynn that following Monday,however I will continue to see them for the following wks until I leave. But next Friday will most likely be the last time I see Bella and Ben, until I come back to visit. After all the hard times that I have had w/them over the past 9 months, I am actually going to miss them. I feel I have done so much for them. I broke Bella (who is 4) of her binky with in a week of working there, I have helped her learn all her letters, helped Ben learn his colors and shapes, broke him of his binky and have helped potty train him. I have brought them to and from school, to activities, sat there and smiled and been excited when they achieved something as if they were my own children. I've taken a lot of pride in the accomplishments that they have accomplished. With that said-it upsets me today, that their mom, Liz, told me that the nanny they had intended on hiring decided to pick a new job. Which just makes me ill-I hope to not leave and them be screwed with no nanny to watch after the kids.At first the kids can be deceiving, and may give one a hard time, but they actually grow on you.
In the past 14 months that I have nannied 4 different families, I have learned so much. I have nannied-lets just call it watched-children from the ages of 6 months to 12 years old. I have potty trained 2 of them, cuddled with them when they were sick or hurt themselves, disciplined (sometimes more then the parents actually did) Watched endless hours of cartoons and children shows (in which some of them I felt dumber after wards or become severally addicted :/ ), brought kids to school, tennis, swimming, soccer, dance,gymnastics, participated in class picnics, parent/child classes, and been looked 'down' upon from other moms because I was 'the nanny.' I have sat in several rooms for long periods of time with other moms who refused to make eye contact or even return a hello or smile to me-which let me tell you, when you already don't have a lot in common with these women since you don't have kids on your own, it makes it really hard and uncomfortable.
I have felt pride when one 'of my kids' have done well, and felt a sense of accomplishment. For example when the child learns to walk, gets potty trained, hits a ball over the net, can finally drink out of a regular cup instead of a sippy cup, If one thing that I have learned from my job as a 'nanny' it's how I want to and not want to 'raise' my kids. Matt doesn't understand why I have pictures of these kids around-he doesn't understand the bond I've had with these kids. They have been like my own kids-I have/had a bond with my kids that I had in my Pre-K class, because I got to watch them grow everyday, but this experience has been so much more.
I have formed a strong bond with most of these kids, some of them (the older ones) I still continue to talk to and keep up with their lives. I monthly if not more, communicate with the parents of my past kids.
I felt like I had so much more to say on this subject, because the realization of me leaving in 3 weeks has really sunk in these last 2 days of being home alone-I've had too much time to think...
I write this blog because I feel a chapter of my life is closing. I have decided that I will no longer nanny, I can not handle the isolation from other adults. I love kids, but no adult communication SUCKS!! Even if I cannot find another job, I think I would rather go back to retail then nanny again.
I have been truly blessed to work for such amazing families and to have amazing kids.
COUNTDOWN:
Last Day at Thompsons: 8 days
Last Day at Beasleys: 11 days
Till California: 12 days
My Birthday: 22 days
Moving Day: 23 days
No comments:
Post a Comment